I am having trouble sorting out marijuna usage as it affects our registry. Since medical legalization and now recreational legalization it has not been clear cut. I am curious how other registrars are handling this.
1) Are you considering it drug abuse or dependence in the co-morbid section?
2) Do you handle it differently if the patient states they use it for medical purposes?
3) Are you considering it as a risk factor of "smoking" if the patient does indeed smoke it and is not consuming it in another way.
1) The co-morbid ‘ABUSE’ variable currently considers prescription or illicit drugs only. However, this field is a Colorado-specific variable (i.e., no downloading to NTDS), so we can vary the definition to include recreation drug use as well. This will be a topic for discussion at the December CTN meeting.
2) If a patient states that it is for medical purposes, it could be considered a co-morbid condition, but only if ‘abuse’ is identified.
3) Based on our interpretation of the NTDS ‘smoking’ field, the value is intended for cigarettes only. For example, the description specifically excludes smokeless tobacco, cigars, and pipes. As such, we feel that marijuana should also be excluded from this field.